Search This Blog

Thursday 5 September 2019

Sarah's adventures in Bath part III

Day three we went to Pulteney Bridge which in the Regency was the new bridge.  Unfortunately while there my camera ceased working - turned out to be a faulty connection in the lens, not the camera - phew! the cheapest half - and not worth repairing.  Whilst consulting the very nice man in the camera shop near the Abbey I was told that there are tunnels under Bath and that there is a bricked up one in the cellar of that shop.  Anyone who knows more, I would dearly love to know.





 Some back alleys which I don't think have changed much, including Sally Lunn's cake shop
Looking to the downs on the other side of the river


Looking down into Parade, once St James's gardens

 Looking up Gt Pulteney St past Laura Place towards Sydney Gardens
 Looking across the river at the site of the old assembly rooms
pulteney bridge
the tunnel under the bridge with access to the cellars of the shops on it.

and after my camera died, thanks to Anne Seebaldt who took these from the city side of the river:



2 comments:

  1. What lovely pictures, I would really love to go there myself but living so far away( western USA) and my age and money.. it will never happen so I love to see pictures such as these. thank you for sharing them Carmalee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am glad to be able to take you on a virtual visit. I hope the vicarious visit helps; I hope to get there again but we will have to see. I got about just fine with my walker, but as it was a flying visit I eschewed too many stairs, it really wants 4-5 days for anyone with mobility problems to enjoy it. I didn#t get to go over the baths, or the fashion museum or the Jane Austen centre or Sidney Gardens, and I would have liked to have poked around the backs of some of the houses as well.

      Delete