Search This Blog

Friday 8 November 2019

Sarah's adventures in Brighton

Yup, I know it has been a while since the Brighton trip; life got busy.
Unfortunately  photos inside the pavilion are not permitted; but let me try to describe it.   However opulent you think you can imagine it is more so.
Decoration is on every surface; and golden dragons and wyverns.  I loved the 10' tall golden snaky dragons which were coiled to tuck the curtains into when they were drawn back.  And for dragons I forgive a lot of excess ... vulgar? hell yes, but it is so over the top it almost works.  When we left it was in a haze of bling overload. Though only one room was truly uncomfortable - the red reception room, which was so overwhelmingly scarlet that I fled through it in a hurry. what a way to depress pretensions of visitors you don't want!
Simon was amazed how small the grand piano was.  I was blown away by the iron pillars in the kitchen topped with cast iron palm leaves, in the semblance of trees.  I doubt servants appreciated dust catchers out of reach over where they were preparing food! 





the riding house

and this is the way in to the kitchen complex...

 And some details of the decoration








7 comments:

  1. I did not know the Pavillion still existed. After seeing your lovely pictures I was curious about the interior so I went to their website and watched the tour video. It didn't seem so garish from the video but I trust your judgement about the crimson room. :) Thanks for sharing and educating at least one person about this beautiful building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The place fascinates me. It is not so much garish as so lavishly opulent as to tip into vulgar; all the gilding! actually apart from the red room I loved it, which may say something about me, though possibly just that I am a dracophile ....the red room had a very high ceiling but was relatively small, it seemed to be crashing in you; I've seen paintings of it and that impression is not as apparent as standing in it.
      glad you enjoyed the piece, hope you get a chance to visit.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing this, I so enjoy these posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you, it's always nice to know that it is enjoyed!

      Delete
  3. This makes me want to revisit the Brighton Pavilion. It's ages since I went. In fact it's ages since I've been to Brighton, a very interesting place!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the hubby and I are looking into going by train so we can have more time there and so he isn't exhausted when we arrive - he also has ME, and though he is fit to drive, unlike me, even with an adapted car, it is tiring. The Park and Ride made all the difference though.
      Now however I want to find out where the place we went in relates to the Steyne, where I photographed it from before, when we were passing through ...

      Delete
  4. I'd normally have put a link into spam, but I do think readers here might find your link useful. Please don't abuse my trust in letting this one through!

    ReplyDelete